The school was established in Wallingford 350 years ago by the merchant tailor Walter Bigg who wanted to endow a school associated with the parish church of St Mary’s.
He was born and raised locally and went on to be elected Lord Mayor of London. Although he made good he never forgot his roots and was keen to help others. He left us a trust fund that still exists for the benefit of our young people. We hope to encourage a similar desire to serve the community in our current students.
We are proud to have maintained our links with the Merchant Taylors' Company in the City of London continuously since 1659.